Thursday, May 14, 2015

"Thundercats are go!"

Stay tuned for another episode of:  Shit My Husband Says, at the end of this post.


Okay..
So the appointment went really well aside from having to sit in the waiting room for 40 minutes before being seen.  But I guess that's not really anything new. My doctor performed the ultrasound and told me that my ovaries looked nice and quiet and my lining was measuring 9mm's thick.
(remember, it needs to be at least 7mm)

He then asked Barry and I how many embryos we planned to transfer to which we each replied, "uhhhhhhhhhh."
After glancing over at one another, we simultaneously agreed aloud on, "1."
This is a conversation that the nurses and doctors all try to get couples to discuss at the beginning of IVF so that there is a mutual agreement by the time of transfer. Barry and I however, agreed long before even officially beginning IVF, that we would transfer 2, only to be told at our first consultation that because of my size, doctor Winslow would only feel comfortable transferring 1 at a time. His argument was that I don't seem to have too hard of a time getting pregnant (yea right), they just always implanted in the wrong place. That, and the smaller a women is, the higher the chance of complications with multiple gestations. Having been told this from day one, we've both been under the presumption that we were only going to transfer 1. So I can only assume that's why the number '1' slipped out of both of our mouths. Too bad we probably looked like we had never even given it a second thought though. I hate appearing unorganized or unprepared.
Part of me wants to give us the highest chance possible for a positive outcome this go around, so I want to transfer 2! But if my body isn't ready for pregnancy this time, it could very well reject both embryos and then we are out... The End. Game Over. If we just transfer 1 for right now and things don't work out this time, at least we can make whatever changes in protocol we need for the next time around, and we can try 1 more time. And just having that as an option could make a world of difference emotionally healing from a failed cycle and trying to move forward.
HOPEFULLY  we won't have to worry about any of that though. But I'm glad we have a "backup plan" in place for ourselves. Even if it's more of just a "feel good plan" since I know it will probably be a couple of years until we could afford another transfer.
Any who.. the doctor told me to stay on the Estrace (3 in the morning and 3 more at night) every day. Tomorrow I will begin my morning/nightly dose of Progesterone Gel suppositories and my antibiotics to prevent me from catching anything during or after the transfer which is scheduled for next Wednesday May 20th at 1pm.


After the appointment we hit up chickfila for breakfast before returning to work.
While we were in line, I made the comment to Barry how I'd like to go get something really good to eat after the transfer. He agreed and also made mention that we should plan our first little outing as a family. He said,
"We should take the kids to chuckie cheese!!!! or maybe they're still a little too young. hmmm..."

I died.  






No comments:

Post a Comment