Monday, May 18, 2015

The Joys of Progesterone

This morning when I initially got up to the hit the snooze button on my alarm clock I noticed my chest was a little tender. The second time my alarm sounded and I got up to turn it off, I did a feel-around and I realized just how sore they really were. I've been taking the progesterone suppositories twice a day for 4 days now and up until this morning I hadn't a felt a single side effect from it, so  I was pretty excited to finally feel it working! That is, until now... They are growing more and more sore by the hour, it feels like.
Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT complaining.. I'm just remembering how sore  PAINFUL they were right before my last scheduled transfer and I was only taking it once a day and now I'm taking it twice a day! It won't be long before I'll have to hold onto them upon exiting the bed every morning and avoid potholes in the road like my life depends on it. HA!!!
Heaven forbid this round doesn't work, but the next time around, I'm requesting the progesterone shots versus the suppository.

Progesterone in Oil shot (PIO):
Intramuscular shot (meaning 1.5 inch long, 22-gauge needle in the ass)
The medicine is mixed in sesame oil, which is very thick, so it not only hurts really bad going in, but it also can leave big, painful lumps and bumps under the skin at the injection sites.
Costs around $84/week (x8 weeks $672)

Crinone (Vaginal Gel Suppository)
Quick, painless, tampon insertion-like application.
Can cause cervical irritation, cramps, and spotting.
Once inserted, the body absorbs the medicine within the gel, but the gel remains, dries into small/large white clumps and must be manually cleaned out every night in the shower to prevent a large build up. Yea.... Lovely.
Costs around $160/week  (x8 weeks $1280)

Neither one or the other is considered to be more effective, my doctor just chose to prescribe Crinone because too many of his patients were having problems with developing large, painful, cystic-type lumps in their asses from the daily PIO shots. I'd rather take my chances with the far less expensive shot though. The nightly "Crinone-cleaning" is fucking gross.

So, now that you know more than you probably wanted to...

Other than the sore chest and off and on cramps, I still feel pretty normal.








No comments:

Post a Comment